07 Apr How your Baby Will Benefit from Open Adoption
Open adoption is a wonderful and compassionate way for expectant moms and potential adoptive parents to agree on how they will interact after the adoption. With open adoption, you can choose the family for your child. With Cradle of Hope’s guidance and support, you can work out how and when you would like to remain in contact with the child and adoptive parents.
Open adoption arrangements between adoptive parents and birth mothers can be very rewarding and beneficial. You should know that at all times you are in charge of the decisions that will affect you after labor and delivery and after the adoption process is complete.
There are many ways your baby can benefit from open adoption, including:
- Your baby will know as they grow up that you loved them enough to want the best for them
- They will know about their adoption story and that you made this choice because you cared for them
- They will have the opportunity to know about their biological family, including important genealogy and health information
- Depending on the type of contact you choose, they will be able to know you through ongoing contact with you and with others of your choosing, such as siblings
- They will feel secure, knowing you chose this life for them
Open adoption also greatly benefits you, the mother. You will have the peace of mind you need to move forward, knowing your child is safe and secure through regular contact and updates from the adoptive family.